Current:Home > MarketsFederal prosecutors charge ex-Los Angeles County deputies in sham raid and $37M extortion -CapitalEdge
Federal prosecutors charge ex-Los Angeles County deputies in sham raid and $37M extortion
Indexbit View
Date:2025-04-07 04:40:22
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Two former Los Angeles County sheriff’s deputies and two former foreign military officials have been charged with threatening a Chinese national and his family with violence and deportation during a sham raid at his Orange County home five years ago, federal prosecutors said Monday.
The four men also demanded $37 million and the rights to the man’s business, according to the U.S. attorney’s office in Los Angeles. Authorities have not released the businessman’s name.
The men are scheduled to be arraigned Monday afternoon on charges of conspiracy to commit extortion, attempted extortion, conspiracy against rights, and deprivation of rights under color of law.
Prosecutors said the group drove to the victim’s house in Irvine on June 17, 2019, and forced him, his wife and their two children into a room for hours, took their phones, and threatened to deport him unless he complied with their demands. Authorities said the man is a legal permanent resident.
The men slammed the businessman against a wall and choked him, prosecutors said. Fearing for his and his family’s safety, he signed documents relinquishing his multimillion-dollar interest in Jiangsu Sinorgchem Technology Co. Ltd., a China-based company that makes rubber chemicals.
Federal prosecutors said the man’s business partner, a Chinese woman who was not indicted, financed the bogus raid. The two had been embroiled in legal disputes over the company in the United States and China for more than a decade, prosecutors said.
Prosecutors said one of the men charged, Steven Arthur Lankford — who retired from the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department in 2020 — searched for information on the victim in a national database using a terminal at the sheriff’s department. They said Lankford, 68, drove the other three men to the victim’s house in an unmarked sheriff’s department vehicle, flashed his badge and identified himself as a police officer.
It was not immediately clear if Lankford has an attorney who can speak on his behalf. The Associated Press left a message Monday at a telephone number listed for Lankford, but he did not respond.
Federal prosecutors also charged Glen Louis Cozart, 63, of Upland, who also used to be a sheriff’s deputy. The AP left a phone message for Cozart, but he didn’t immediately respond.
Lankford was hired by Cozart, who in turn was hired by Max Samuel Bennett Turbett, a 39-year-old U.K. citizen and former member of the British military who also faces charges. Prosecutors said Turbett was hired by the Chinese businesswoman who financed the bogus raid.
Matthew Phillip Hart, 41, an Australian citizen and former member of the Australian military, is also charged in the case.
“It is critical that we hold public officials, including law enforcement officers, to the same standards as the rest of us,” said United States Attorney Martin Estrada. “It is unacceptable and a serious civil rights violation for a sworn police officer to take the law into his own hands and abuse the authority of the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department.”
If convicted, the four men could each face up to 20 years in federal prison.
veryGood! (3)
Related
- Intel's stock did something it hasn't done since 2022
- Princess Diana’s Brother Charles Spencer Responds to Kate Middleton's Cancer News
- 18-year-old charged with vehicular homicide in crash that killed a woman and 3 children in a van
- Gisele Bündchen Denies Cheating on Ex Tom Brady and Confirms She's Dating Again
- The Louvre will be renovated and the 'Mona Lisa' will have her own room
- Powerball winning numbers for March 23, 2024 drawing: Jackpot rises to $750 million
- Rough game might be best thing for Caitlin Clark, Iowa's March Madness title aspirations
- Comedian Kevin Hart is joining a select group honored with the Mark Twain Prize for American humor
- Have Dry, Sensitive Skin? You Need To Add These Gentle Skincare Products to Your Routine
- 'Unbelievable toll': Tate accusers see waves of online hate as brothers sue for defamation
Ranking
- The Louvre will be renovated and the 'Mona Lisa' will have her own room
- Maximize Your Time and Minimize Your Spending With 24 Amazon Deals for People Who Are Always on the Go
- Stellantis recalls nearly 285,000 Dodge, Chrysler cars over potentially deadly airbag defect
- Women's March Madness games today: Schedule, how to watch Sunday's NCAA Tournament
- How to watch new prequel series 'Dexter: Original Sin': Premiere date, cast, streaming
- April 2024 total solar eclipse guide: How to watch, understand and stay safe on April 8
- Wisconsin Rep. Mike Gallagher to resign early, leaving razor-thin GOP majority
- 2 suspects, including teen, arrested in connection to New York City murder of Nadia Vitel
Recommendation
Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
For the first time, Russia admits it's in a state of war with Ukraine
Princess Kate has cancer and is asking for privacy – again. Will we finally listen?
Nevada’s first big-game moose hunt will be tiny as unusual southern expansion defies climate change
'Squid Game' without subtitles? Duolingo, Netflix encourage fans to learn Korean
Body of missing hiker Caroline Meister found at waterfall base in California: Police
This Size-Inclusive Jumpsuit is on Sale for Just $25 During Amazon's Big Spring Sale
Rihanna Is a Good Girl Gone Blonde With Epic Pixie Cut Hair Transformation